Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happenings in Africa

Community entry is coming to an end at the beginning of January.  All that this means is I'll be able to leave village and take vacation days.

Some of the latest highlights:

I have a garden now, thanks to the help of some of the people in my village and the children.  My garden was made by a woman who I met in the market while I was buying bread.  I mentioned to her I wanted to make a garden and she came to my house two days later to help me.  In exchange, she said I had to go to church with her, which is a fair price.  A few days later children came to my house and I wasn't in the mood to entertain so I told them I was resting.  Then, I could still hear them giggling which usually means they're up to no good...so after half an hour I went outside and there were about ten children whom had brought seeds with them and were planting my garden for me.  They planted pumpkins and corn, and then I brought basil seeds out, so those were planted as well.  The garden is growing well and because it's the rainy season I don't have to water it.  I'm excited that I will have fresh vegetables.


I've also been composting and my neighbors have been giving me their goat manure.  Every time they bring it to me I'm so grateful  (I don't think they've ever seen anyone's face light up from receiving goat poop).  I'm collecting it so I can do a manure-tea demonstration and so I can use it in my garden after the vegetables have finished growing.


A couple nights ago I decided to go out to the cimbusu (bathroom) without having my headlamp turned on because I wanted to look at the stars.  On my way back, I felt a sting on my left foot and then my right foot.  I went into my house, looked down, and there were ants crawling on my feet.  Then, I go out my door and turn on my headlamp there were ants everywhere.  They were surrounding my house and just started to ascend my doorstep.  I didn't know what to do so I went and got my hot goals from the brasier and poured them on the ants.  I also got lime and poured that around my house.  After this, they didn't come into my house, but I sat on my front stoop with my headlamp and my camera just watching them.  They make a high-pitched noise and they were coming from as far away as I could see.  After about two hours they were all gone.  In the middle of this event I called my host and he said, "Are they dark brown or black?  Oh, they're just black?  Just leave them alone, they'll go away."  It's amazing that these things just happen and you're just supposed to get out of their way.


Other than these highlights, I've just been reading, fixing the plastic that lines my roof, working at my clinic, and doing other mandatory chores.

I've been enjoying getting to know my neighbors and the people who work at my clinic and I'm starting to make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment