Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Brief Update

Once again I have a little bit of time to be on the internet.  I'm now half way through training, just had my second language test, and going to my second site visit tomorrow.  It'll be a 10 days long and a 12 hour drive (because we can't drive through the Congo due to "political unrest") and I'll have my first opportunity to meet the other Peace Corps Volunteers (who will be living in the same province as I am) at the Provincial House in Samfia, Luapula.  The Provincial House is 300 kilometers away from my site (side note: 3 miles in every 5 kilometers).  During this visit I will also get to see my house, meet my neighbors (the best I can since my Bemba isn't even to a survival level; it's a work in progress), and meet the community I'll be working with.  I'm lucky, because where I'll be living is near a paved road and I have electricity and cell phone coverage near (not in) my hut.  Many people do not have these luxuries. I will also have access to all the fish that I want...I'm going to have to learn to like fish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment